[ovirt-users] [ovirt-devel] [SCALE][RFC] ksmd bound to one core

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 12:18:27 UTC 2014

On Nov 5, 2014, at 23:29 , Daniel Helgenberger <daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de> wrote:

> On 05.11.2014 21:07, Adam Litke wrote:
>> On 04/11/14 13:11 +0100, Sven Kieske wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> currently ksmd is a single process
>>> and is thus bound to one core.
>>>
>>> This leads to some scaling problems such as:
>>>
>>> If you got a lot of vms on one host with huge amounts
>>> of ram you can observe that the cpu usage by ksmd
>>> goes easily to 100%.
> I wonder what would be the benefit here... I think spending CPU cycles
> on something like memory compression is not what (most) users would do.

Indeed.
I would say it is more beneficial to spend time on better analysis of what regions of memory you want to analyze. Instead of this brute force approach trying to scan the whole hosts memory aggressively.
E.g. We don't even have ksm per VM yet (but it's in the plan). Even that would help a lot as you can then enable it only where it makes sense (pool deployment with many same/idle VMs)

Thanks,
michal