[ovirt-users] hosted engine , how to make changes to the VM post deploy

Groten, Ryan Ryan.Groten at stantec.com
Thu Nov 6 16:10:32 UTC 2014

I went through this a couple months ago.  Migrated my hosted-engine from one NFS host to another.  Here are the steps that I documented from the experience.  There is probably a better way, but this worked for me on two separate hosted-engine environments.

	1. Make a backup of RHEV-M
	2. Migrate VMs off all hosts that run hosted-engine (except hosted-engine itself)
	3. Put hosted-engine hosts in maintenance mode (except host that's running hosted-engine)
	4. Put hosted-engine in global maintenance mode
	5. Shutdown hosted-engine
	6. Stop ovirt-ha-agent and ovirt-ha-broker services on all hosted-engine hosts
	7. On each hosted-engine host:
		a. service ovirt-ha-agent stop
		b. service ovirt-ha-broker stop
		c. sanlock client shutdown -f 1
		d. service sanlock stop
		e. umount /rhev/data-center/mnt/<hosted-engine-share>
		f. service sanlock start
	8. mount new NFS share on /hosted_tgt
	9. mount old NFS share on /hosted_src
	10. Copy data (make sure sparse files are kept sparse):
		a. rsync --sparse -crvlp /hosted_src/* /hosted_tgt/
	11. Edit /etc/ovirt-hosted-engine/hosted-engine.conf and change path:
		storage=10.1.208.122:/HostedEngine_Test
	12. Make sure permissions are vdsm:kvm in /hosted_tgt/
	13. umount /hosted_tgt
	14. umount /hosted_src
	15. Pick one hosted-engine host and reboot, then run:
		a. hosted-engine --connect-storage (make sure the new NFS is mounted properly)
		b. hosted-engine --start-pool (wait a few seconds then try again if you get an error)
		c. service ovirt-ha-broker start
		d. service ovirt-ha-agent start
		e. hosted-engine --vm-start