[ovirt-users] Can some one share the use cases for the local storage?

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Thu Nov 6 17:29:50 UTC 2014

On 06.11.2014 09:44, Sven Kieske wrote:

> On 06/11/14 09:15, Arman Khalatyan wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I would like to understand the local storage purpose.
>> I was wondered are there any production systems using local storage?
>> Or in another way, how to use effectively the local hosts disks?
>> My ovirt purpose is so serve HA-VM LAMPs.
>
> Well yes there is local storage in production at various sites.
> For real HA you inevitable need a shared storage solution.
An example and 'real' use case to Svens answer:
The term 'local' might indeed a bit misleading. The posix file system
option basically lets you use anything posix compliant. For instance I
am using a cluster file system called StorNext in our company - witch is
very well suited for use with oVirt. Without POSIX, I could not have
used it.

> You could try to utilize local disks by using gluster ceph
> or any other software defined storage system.
>
> Gluster is the most integrated withing ovirt, but here are some
> caveats:
>
> It's not encouraged to run vms on the hosts which are part of the
> gluster cluster (but it works, at least this is what you can read on
> this very ML).
>
> It's not supported to run hosted-engine on top of gluster, at least
> not without a replica count of at least 3.
Posix enables usage of GlusterFuseFS. However, it might be the case the
replica 3 is only needed when using FuseFS [1], independent from the
fact of using Gluster and Compute on the same host.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/users@ovirt.org/msg22416.html
--
Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767