[ovirt-users] phantom snapshot blocking other operations

Toby Chappell toby at ggc.edu
Mon Nov 10 22:12:52 UTC 2014

I attempted to make a live snapshot of a Windows VM last night, and got
the message "Failed to create live snapshot <name> for VM <vm>. VM restart
is recommended".

So, I then shut the VM down normally, and attempted to remove the snapshot.
I got an error that the snapshot could not be removed because it was still
in progress. Looking underneath the covers at the 'images' directory for
this VM on the storage filesystem, I don't see any evidence of a snapshot
in progress (the *_MERGE* files).

The Snapshots tab for the VM does not show any snapshots (other than
the 'Active VM' entry).

I can't boot the VM however. When attempting to detach the disk and
mount it on another Windows VM for inspection, I receive the message
"Cannot detach virtual disk. The disk is already configured in a snapshot.
In order to detach it, remove the disk's snapshots".

How can I convince oVirt there is no snapshot so I can move forward with
the rest of resurrecting this important VM?

oVirt Engine Version: 3.4.0-1.fc19 (running on Fedora Core 19 server)
hosts: running vdsm-4.13.0-11.el6.x86_64 on CentOS 6.5
storage: NFS from an in-house NAS based on ZFS on OpenIndiana

Many thanks in advance,
Toby

--
Toby Chappell, RHCE