[ovirt-users] storage offload capability

Paul Jansen vlaero at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 13 11:09:10 UTC 2014

I have an ovirt 3.5 cluster set up with three el7 hosts.  Storage is provided by two Fedora 20 machines and the connection is via multipath iscsi.
The performance is quite good.  The Fedora 20 iscsi targets are using the 'target' (ie: lio) framework, which support the various t.10 scsi offloads.  Vmware supports a subset of these called VAAI and Microsoft has a subset called ODX.
Cloning is one if the t.10 extensions that the lio target framework supports.

I just tried cloning a vm and noticed that during the process there is a lof of traffic over the iscsi interfaces on the Storage Pool Manager host and the iscsi target machine.
With proper support for t.10 cloning I shoudn't see any traffic on the isci links (or very minimal traffic)

Is there some way to enable the storage offload functionality in Ovirt?
If not, is this on the VDSM roadmap?  If support were worked in this should be able to be applied to FCP connections as well.  The lio target supports these offloads when acting as a Fiber Channel target also.

I've asked this sometime back but there hasn't been much in the way of discussion on this users list or the devel list about this feature.