[ovirt-users] Latest ovirt-node release/installation

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Fri Nov 14 11:24:47 UTC 2014

On 13.11.2014 20:58, Christopher Young wrote:
> I sincerely hope that this is not answered elsewhere as I've done several
> searches and have yet to find a solid answer.  I have three (what I believe to
> be) basic questions (with perhaps some subs there):
>
> 1)  What is the latest oVirt-node release and where would one download it (I
> appear to only see 3.4 -based releases of the ISO available)?  It is 3.5-based
> and/or is there an upgrade path?  Which glusterfs release is currently included
> with oVirt-node?

I take the liberty to add Fabian to this thread.
Here is the link to the most current node release:

http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-3.5-pre/iso/ovirt-node-iso-3.5.0.ovirt35.20140912.el6.iso
see [1]

> 2) As I understand it, newer releases of oVirt-node allow you to do an
> installation of the self-hosted engine at this time.  Is that correct?
Be aware, this is not a stable release ATM but provides HE features.
This works quite cleverly by fetching an OVF offline engine install.

> 3) Is there any functionality that one would be losing out on by deploying oVirt
> via oVirt-node vs. using full-OS installation?  Which is the more recommended?
Here I go along with Sven's notes for most of the part. The node project
is quite ambitious. You might have some troubles with special hardware.
Esp. SELinux is a real challenge, also EL7 with systemd. But if you want
(many) lightweight hosts witch standard hardware and an easy deployment
cycle, node is for you. Give it a try and see if it suits your needs and
share your experience...

> Again, I apologize if these questions are covered somewhere, but I felt like
> asking them in a direct fashion so as to clear up my own ignorance.  I
> appreciate any feedback and information that you could share.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

[1] Fabian's announcement
Hey,

to be able to give Node a go on the oVirt 3.5 TestDay, we provide a
fresh build of Node including the 3.5rc2 package here:

http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-3.5-pre/iso/ovirt-node-iso-3.5.0.ovirt35.20140912.el6.iso

We did not see any SELinux denials, but if you experience any problems,
please try to install Node in permissive mode by appending
  enfcoring=0
during the installation.

--
Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767