[ovirt-users] separate ovirtmgmt from glusterfs traffic

Lior Vernia lvernia at redhat.com
Mon Nov 17 12:20:36 UTC 2014

Hi Tibor,

On 13/11/14 13:41, Demeter Tibor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 3 node gluster based cluster. There are 3x3 Nic with bonding.
> Sometimes the management is very slow because high gluster traffic.
>
> Is it possible to separate ovirtmgmt network from glusterfs traffic?
> I have only one interface (ovirtmgmt) for all of services (migration, etc).
> I just wondering I will make three VLANs for these services and use the
> QoS function. But how can specify glusterfs for use an other vlan for
> gluster traffic an a other one for management?

This generally sounds like a good plan, but note that QoS on the
host-level will only become available in oVirt 3.6 (it might become
available soon on master, if you're feeling lucky...).

VM-level QoS (available since 3.3) won't help you with "administrative"
traffic (i.e. traffic that isn't going into / coming out of the VMs
themselves).

> Also, I have more questions about this:
>
> - If I specify a VLAN on ovirtmgmt, then what happend on nodes? I'm
> afraid the nodes will lost the connection with each other nodes.

If the switch allows this VLAN to reach all hosts, there shouldn't be a
problem; since oVirt 3.4 the VLAN tagging should "propagate" to all
active hosts. However, see my comment below concerning "VM network".

> - Is it possible on a live system? What will happen with the mounted
> glustefs based datastores?

I'm not knowledgeable about gluster specifics, but let's see if I can
help. What's the current situation with the gluster network, is it
already VLAN-tagged? If it is and you're not moving it to another
interface on the hosts, I *think* things should be fine.

> - What does "vm network" mean on ovirtmgmt interface? Can I use this for
> seperate network traffic?

This means that a bridge is created for this network on hosts. If VMs
don't use this network (i.e. virtual interfaces are assigned profiles of
ovirtmgmt), you can make it non-VM (with no VLAN tagging) and have it
assigned to the same host interface as VLAN-tagged networks (I would say
this is less risky than VLAN-tagging ovirtmgmt).