[ovirt-users] Ubuntu/Debian support?

Federico Alberto Sayd fsayd at uncu.edu.ar
Mon Nov 17 12:47:56 UTC 2014

On 17/11/14 04:41, Itamar Heim wrote:
> So, a quick non-scientific poll...
>
> Motivation: It has been suggested that adding ubuntu or debian distro
> support could broaden the reach of the oVirt community.
> To date, there has been some work towards this goal, but it is not
> "coming to a conclusion".
>
> Questions that comes to mind:
>
> 1) Is this still an issue?
I think that to support other serious distros would highlight the fact
that oVirt is distro agnostic. Today oVirt still is "RedHat-centric"
> 2) Can we afford to dilute the focus we have as it is hard enough to
>    stabilize the currently supported distro's? is it worth the
>    potential impact?
> 3) Would it have maintainers catering to it so it won't be left behind
>    / delay development?
> 4) Why bother with host support, ovirt-node can be used?
> 5) Why bother with engine support, a virtual appliance or a docker
>    image could be used?
> 6) if we do it, should we focus on Ubuntu or Debian distro first?
Debian, of course, it is upstream of Ubuntu and its release criteria
compares to Centos or RHEL
> 7) if we do it, should we focus on host or engine first?
I think that implementing host in Debian/Ubuntu would involve less work
and after all, node/host is the core of virtualization infrastructure.