[ovirt-users] Ubuntu/Debian support?

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Mon Nov 17 18:25:14 UTC 2014

On 11/17/2014 02:41 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> So, a quick non-scientific poll...
>
> Motivation: It has been suggested that adding ubuntu or debian distro
> support could broaden the reach of the oVirt community.
> To date, there has been some work towards this goal, but it is not
> "coming to a conclusion".
>
> Questions that comes to mind:
>
> 1) Is this still an issue?
> 2) Can we afford to dilute the focus we have as it is hard enough to
>     stabilize the currently supported distro's? is it worth the
>     potential impact?
> 3) Would it have maintainers catering to it so it won't be left behind
>     / delay development?
> 4) Why bother with host support, ovirt-node can be used?
> 5) Why bother with engine support, a virtual appliance or a docker
>     image could be used?
> 6) if we do it, should we focus on Ubuntu or Debian distro first?
> 7) if we do it, should we focus on host or engine first?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>     Itamar

I think this is a must. Non-scientifically, Debian/Ubuntu is much more
popular on desktops than Fedora. Because of that, it's quickly gaining
traction in server roles as well. Developers will resist even trying out
oVirt if they can't test it out on their Debian/Ubuntu desktop. I had
several people ask me at LISA if oVirt runs on Ubuntu.

4 and 5 are valid points.

I have light experience packaging for Debian. I offer my help :)

--
Greg Sheremeta
Red Hat, Inc.
gshereme at redhat.com