[ovirt-users] Ubuntu/Debian support?

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 11:26:22 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

On my opinion yes.

> 2) Can we afford to dilute the focus we have as it is hard enough to
>     stabilize the currently supported distro's? is it worth the
>     potential impact?

Probably yes, it can help attracting new users.

> 3) Would it have maintainers catering to it so it won't be left behind
>     / delay development?

Yes, on a lower priority.

> 4) Why bother with host support, ovirt-node can be used?

Yes, but for a new potential user it's probably easier, or at least more familiar, to take a look at the project running it on a distro he well know.

> 5) Why bother with engine support, a virtual appliance or a docker
>     image could be used?

As 4.

> 6) if we do it, should we focus on Ubuntu or Debian distro first?

>From Linux counter data ( http://linuxcounter.net/distributions.html ), Ubuntu seams to be today most popular distribution.
I'm not really sure about the statistics value of that data cause the statistics base is really low and it doesn't distinct desktop usage from server one, but probably if the aim is to broader the user base it would be more interesting to start from Ubuntu.
Maybe it would be also easier to involve somebody from Canonical.

> 7) if we do it, should we focus on host or engine first?

Both, maybe focusing also on all-in-one setup which, of course is not the most enterprise grade setup, but it could be more interesting for Ubuntu target users.