[ovirt-users] ;vdsmdummy; provokes several errors

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 22:41:28 UTC 2014

> Hi there,

Hi! Let me start by stating that the mailing list you've posted is
deprecated, and should have been closed. vdsm-users-related discussion
should take place on users at ovirt.org.

> the semicolons in the name of the vdsm-dummy interface provokes
> several errors on our RHEV-Hypervisors. We use Fat-Hypervisors which
> are fully puppetized. At the moment facter and rkhunter can't handle
> the semicolons.
> rkhunter:
> - ---------------------- Start Rootkit Hunter Scan ----------------------
> Invalid ALLOWDEVFILE configuration option: Invalid pathname:
> /dev/.udev/db/net:;vdsmdummy;
>
> - ----------------------- End Rootkit Hunter Scan -----------------------
>
> Facter: https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/FACT-546
>
> Are those semicolon really necessary?

The motivation for the semicolons was to eliminate the (albeit remote)
chance of of this bridge name colliding with a previously-defined
network. It was introduced two years ago http://gerrit.ovirt.org/9562
and it is a bit two entrenched by now. Modifying it to another string,
while it is used by multiple VM in a distributed cluster of host is a
painful hassle.

It would be much more advisable for puppet to support all device names
acceptable by Linux (anything but ':. \t\0', without adding its own
limitations. I have a vague memory that Foreman encountered the same
problem, and fixed it.

Regards,
Dan.