[ovirt-users] Possible python api bug on api.clusters.list

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Fri Nov 21 09:56:07 UTC 2014

On 11/21/2014 10:37 AM, Amedeo Salvati wrote:
> Hello,
>
> before opening a new bug, I'm asking here if somebody could let me know
> if this is a bug or there are other ways to obtain clusters list...
>
> on python script I retrieve cluster list by using:
>
> clulist = api.clusters.list( "datacenter=" + "PROD" )
>
> but this query on python script will be *automatically* expandend on
> something like evething datacenter containg word PROD -> *PROD*, and on
> our env there are either NO_PROD datacenter and PROD datacenter, and
> this cause that clulist object contains every clusters on both datacenter.

This call is translated into the following request:

  GET /ovirt-engine/api/clusters?search=datacenter%3DPROD

And as you discovered this means "all clusters from all data centers
whose name contains PROD". This is by design, it isn't a bug.

If you only want the clusters of the "PROD" data center then you should
instead do something like this:

  prod_datacenter = api.datacenters.get(name="PROD")
  prod_clusters = prod_datacenter.clusters.list()

This is what ovirt-shell does when you run "list clusters
--datacenter-identifier PROD".

> Instead ovirt-shell works fine and returns only clusters filtered by
> datacenter-identifier parameter.
>
> To better understand this is snippet of python code:

> ...     print "Found cluster " + clu.get_name()
> Found cluster NO_PROD         <-------- THIS CLUSTER IS ON NO_PROD
> DATACENTER
> Found cluster PROD
>>>>

> ovirt-shell snippet that works fine:
>
> [oVirt shell (connected)]# list clusters --datacenter-identifier PROD
>
> id         : 168c0d5e-8f12-4377-aabf-604adfd36b2b
> name       : PROD
>
> [oVirt shell (connected)]# list clusters --datacenter-identifier NO_PROD
>
> id         : a092c9fc-0f5f-471e-8bca-b3828255aa5a
> name       : NO_PROD
>
> [oVirt shell (connected)]#
>
> Is this a bug? Can I open a new bug on bugzilla?
>
> Best regards
> Amedeo Salvati

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain