[ovirt-users] Failed Glance Image Import Task Cannot Be Removed

Chris Routh routh at amateurwriting.net
Sun Nov 23 13:13:26 UTC 2014

Greetings fellow mailing listers,

I've been using oVirt since September now, and using version 3.5
currently. When I first setup my small cluster I decided to import a
CentOS image from the glance image repository. However the first time I
tried it the import failed to complete. The problem is that oVirt has
not clued in that this import failed even 2 months and several reboots
of the entire cluster later. I ended up re-attempting the import a day
later (this is back in September) and it worked, however this invalid
task is still in my task list.

I tried using a few tricks from this mailing list when I encountered
this, one was to run a task removal script on the hosted-engine. However
while that removed other stale tasks like drive copying.. it never seems
to work for this import task. This task disappears when I run the
script, but reappears once the hosted-engine is restarted. It's stuck..
somewhere. I had settled on giving up on cleaning up this nuisance a
month ago, and had planned to forget about it; until today.

Today I am upgrading my storage pool from a simple NFS share on an old
linux server to a proper NFS volume on a new FreeNAS device. Everything
was smooth until I moved everything off the old NFS share and wanted to
put it into maintenance mode so I could cleanly remove it from the
datacenter. I cannot remove it. Attempting to remove it produces the
error:

Operation Canceled
Error while executing action: Cannot deactivate Data Domain while there
are running tasks on this data domain.
-Please wait until tasks will finish and try again.

So now I am forced to find the solution to removing this task. I know
the task's ID is 765780ce but how do I rid myself of this ghost once and
for all? Also important to mention I have noticed there is a 'Locked'
disk associated with this task.

Regards,

Chris Routh