[ovirt-users] [QE][ACTION REQUIRED] oVirt 3.6.0 status

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Wed Nov 26 09:26:15 UTC 2014

Il 26/11/2014 09:50, Sven Kieske ha scritto:

> On 26/11/14 09:31, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
>> If no objections will be raised, the proposed changes [2] will be accepted.
>
> I fear I got an objection:
>
> quote:
>>> * Alpha release should come after feature freeze
>> Nothing more to say about it
>
> I really think you are twisting the way what is commonly known as an
> "alpha":
>
> from wikipedia:
> "[..]The alpha phase usually **ends** with a feature freeze[..]"
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_software#Alpha
> emphasis added by me.
>
> you are doing it the wrong way: first release an alpha, than
> make a feature freeze. _After_ feature freeze you can release
> a beta.

"The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is
said to be **feature complete**."

So if you mean alpha release requirements are:

    substantially complete and in a testable state
    enabled by default -- if so specified by the change

And for feature freeze you mean: "no more changes in the feature because the feature is complete" I agree with you, feature freeze must be after alpha.

what I was trying to describe with having feature freeze before alpha is that we must not have features included in the alpha release which are:
- not substantially complete
- not in a testable state

such kind of features must not be in alpha release.

--
Sandro Bonazzola
See how it works at redhat.com