[ovirt-users] [QE][ACTION REQUIRED] oVirt 3.6.0 status

Sven Kieske s.kieske at mittwald.de
Wed Nov 26 10:45:26 UTC 2014

I'm not 100% sure if I understand your definitions:

On 26/11/14 10:26, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
> "The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is
> said to be **feature complete**."
>
> So if you mean alpha release requirements are:
>
>     substantially complete and in a testable state
>     enabled by default -- if so specified by the change

???

I define an alpha release as the following:
features may get added or removed during alpha cycle, of course you can
add your own policy about which features you accept.

> And for feature freeze you mean: "no more changes in the feature because the feature is complete" I agree with you, feature freeze must be after alpha.

no. feature freeze means exactly that:

no more new features are accepted, after feature freeze.
after feature freeze the accepted features stabilize in the beta phase,
you just fix bugs.

> what I was trying to describe with having feature freeze before alpha is that we must not have features included in the alpha release which are:
> - not substantially complete
> - not in a testable state

you should not call this "feature freeze" as this is not what is
commonly understood (imho) when you talk about feature freeze
(see my explanation above).

You might want to call this "feature acceptance criteria" or something
like that, at least it would be more clear (to me) what you mean.

HTH

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen