[ovirt-users] Backup solution using the API

Keppler, Thomas (PEBA) thomas.keppler at kit.edu
Thu Nov 27 15:12:16 UTC 2014

Hello,

now that our oVirt Cluster runs great, I'd like to know if anybody has done a backup solution for oVirt before.

My basic idea goes as follows:
- Create a JSON file with machine's preferences for later restore, create a snapshot, snatch the disk by its disk-id (copy it to the fileserver), then deleting the snapshot and be done with it.
- On restore I'd just create a new VM with the Disks and NICs specified in the preferences; then I'd go ahead and and put back the disk... t

I've played a little bit around with building a JSON file and so far it works great; I haven't tried to make a VM with that, though...

Using the export domain or a simple export command is not what I want since you'd have to turn off the machine to do that - AFAIK. Correct me if that should not be true.

Now, before I go into any more hassle, has somebody else of you done a live-backup solution for oVirt? Are there any recommendations? Thanks for any help provided!

Best regards
Thomas Keppler