[ovirt-users] API -- Do I need to use templates? Can I change network for the nic?

noc noc at nieuwland.nl
Fri Oct 3 06:43:52 UTC 2014

For reference: http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_Administration_Guide

> Second pain point is adding additional networks aside from the initial
> management network doesn't seem to be very intuitive. I'm a network
> engineer for a living...and I can't figure it out.

See below
> Third pain point is ovirt management UI requires a restart semi
> frequently due to crashing.

Don't know about your version and whether you have a dedicated or a
hosted-engine setup but in my case I have both types running and don't
experience any crashes, running a dedicated 3.4.3 engine(s)

> I added the network under the networks tab, but I noticed it doesn't
> ask any interface questions (ok, it could technically attempt arp on
> all interfaces like a citrix netscaler). I notice theres no ifconfig
> changes on the host. I also notice that the other interface has a
> bridge named exactly as the management name in the UI; ovirtmgmt,
> which is bridged to eth0.
Sofar everything OK

> OK, so I create a bridge called utility (my network name) and mapped
> it to a vlan tagged interface I had setup on eth1.21. Everything looks
> identical to how ovirt setup the initial network. The interface itself
> works, I can see things on the network etc. Traffic passes.

Not needed. If you have created your networks then goto to the hosts
tab, select your host, select the Network Interfaces tab and hit Setup
Host Networks.
You'll get a window where you can drag and drop your defined networks to
an interface and define properties for them.

> Trying to run the VM results in errors because its failing network
> filters, says it doesn't exist etc. All I want to do, is create a VM
> with some memory, some disk, with a nic on a network, across
> individual machines. My PXE provisioning will take over from there.
> Whats the best way to do this? Sorry for all the questions -- your
> guys' response is great, and I really appreciate the help thus far.

I use theForeman for that and it works perfectly.

No problem with the questions, oVirt tries to solve a complex problem
and sometimes its easy to forget that one had the same problems a whole
while back :-)

Joop