[ovirt-users] importing a qcow2 disk into ovirt 3.5?

Paul Jansen vlaero at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 21 12:33:21 UTC 2014

>On 21/10/14 07:27, Paul Jansen wrote: >>I've just been doing some searching to try and work out how to get a vmware windows VM into ovirt. >>It seems that the newest virtv2v has dropped support for importing from an ESXi standalone machine - and now only works with vcenter.  I didn't have any success with using the current virt-v2v attaching to an ESXi host. >>>>>>I've prepared the VM by first removing the vmware tools and have installled the various virtio drivers, as well as running the 'mergeide' registry file to enable IDE.  I've used 'qemu-img' to convirt this VMDK file to QCOW2.  It does not appear that there is a straightforward way for me to import this new qcow2 disk into ovirt. >>>>It seems my best option at the moment is to export the VMware VM as an OVA and then try and use a newer virt-v2v to import this into ovirt. >>Alternatively I could construct a VM in virt-manager and attach the converted qcow2 disk to it, and then use virt-v2v to
 import this into ovirt. >>>>Can someone suggest an alternative course of action?  It seems strange that I can't just import a disk into ovirt,  construct a VM and attach the disk. >>>>Is there anything int he works to make this process easier?  >Did you consult the documentation of virt-v2v ? >Imho all the information you need is there, but I didn't test this >myself so ymmv. >Here's the link: virt-v2v >HTH >-- >Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards >Sven Kieske

virt-v2v
NAME SYNOPSIS DESCRIPTION INPUT AND OUTPUT MODES EXAMPLES Convert from VMware vCenter server to local libvirt Convert from ESX to RHEV-M/oVirt Convert disk image to OpenStack glance
View on libguestfs.org Preview by Yahoo

Hi Sven.
Yes, I've had a look at that doco.  I've even built up a Centos 7 machine and installed the EL7.1 libguestfs preview, which contains the very recent 1.28 release of libguestfs.
I'd be most interested to hear peoples experiences doing these kinds of operations.
I remeber Sandro was soliciting feedback about how the import process could be improved not long ago.  It seems this is still an area that needs a bit of polish in ovirt - not to take away from the significant work that Richard Jones in doing with libguestfs and the associated tools.