[ovirt-users] importing a qcow2 disk into ovirt 3.5?

Fabian Deutsch fdeutsch at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 13:23:40 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> I've just been doing some searching to try and work out how to get a vmware
> windows VM into ovirt.
> It seems that the newest virtv2v has dropped support for importing from an
> ESXi standalone machine - and now only works with vcenter.  I didn't have
> any success with using the current virt-v2v attaching to an ESXi host.
>

> I've prepared the VM by first removing the vmware tools and have installled
> the various virtio drivers, as well as running the 'mergeide' registry file
> to enable IDE.  I've used 'qemu-img' to convirt this VMDK file to QCOW2.  It
> does not appear that there is a straightforward way for me to import this
> new qcow2 disk into ovirt.
>
> It seems my best option at the moment is to export the VMware VM as an OVA
> and then try and use a newer virt-v2v to import this into ovirt.

Hey Paul,

I think the OVA is what you need for Engine.
Once you get that file you can import it.
So: Use the OVA offered by the VMWare thing, or use a script like this one:

http://jenkins.ovirt.org/user/fabiand/my-views/view/Node/job/ovirt-appliance_engine-3.5_master_merged/ws/ovirt-appliance/engine-appliance/scripts/create_ova.py
depends on https://github.com/redhat-imaging/imagefactory

To convert the qcow2 to an OVA.

- fabian