[ovirt-users] importing a qcow2 disk into ovirt 3.5?

Federico Alberto Sayd fsayd at uncu.edu.ar
Tue Oct 21 15:23:42 UTC 2014

On 21/10/14 02:27, Paul Jansen wrote:
> I've just been doing some searching to try and work out how to get a
> vmware windows VM into ovirt.
> It seems that the newest virtv2v has dropped support for importing
> from an ESXi standalone machine - and now only works with vcenter.  I
> didn't have any success with using the current virt-v2v attaching to
> an ESXi host.
>
> I've prepared the VM by first removing the vmware tools and have
> installled the various virtio drivers, as well as running the
> 'mergeide' registry file to enable IDE.  I've used 'qemu-img' to
> convirt this VMDK file to QCOW2.  It does not appear that there is a
> straightforward way for me to import this new qcow2 disk into ovirt.
>
> It seems my best option at the moment is to export the VMware VM as an
> OVA and then try and use a newer virt-v2v to import this into ovirt.
> Alternatively I could construct a VM in virt-manager and attach the
> converted qcow2 disk to it, and then use virt-v2v to import this into
> ovirt.
>
> Can someone suggest an alternative course of action? It seems strange
> that I can't just import a disk into ovirt, construct a VM and attach
> the disk.
>
> Is there anything int he works to make this process easier?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

I have not found a way to import qcow2 disk into oVirt.

The last time I needed to import a qcow2 disk to oVirt I created a vm in
a kvm server (my pc..) with virt-manager, then I added the qcow disk,
and booted the vm with clonezilla. Then I created a VM in oVirt,
provisioned with similar disks and booted also with clonezilla. Then I
cloned from kvm to oVirt. After I deleted the native kvm vm and disks.
In this way I bypassed all the import, export, ova compatibility,
virt2virt, etc.

Simple and practical

Regards