[ovirt-users] Fwd: Are there some general strategyhow to Iscsi strorage domain?

Arman Khalatyan arm2arm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 08:11:43 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arman Khalatyan <arm2arm at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [ovirt-users] Are there some general strategyhow to Iscsi
strorage domain?
To: Trey Dockendorf <treydock at gmail.com>

Thank you Trey for sharing your setup.
I have also one test system with zvol exported with iscsi over 10G.
Unfortunately the difference in performance of zfs over raid controller is
huge, particularly where VM running mysql. I did not try HBAs yet, I have
only LSI/Adaptec/Areca RaidControllers they dont have IT mode. Maybe that
can be the reason.
For sure always one need to find the sweet edge between performance and
reliability.
Just for comparison with yours I get on random IO:
zvol/16Disks/Raid2/tgtd/iscsi/10G-> on VM multiple rsync - ~100-150MB/s,
Same HW but disks with Areca RAID6 -  650MB/s stable even more in some
cases.
The best performance I got on FDR iser->
80% of bare metal performance: 1500MB/s but ovirt goes mad claiming that
Network and Disk devices are saturated. My VM goes time by time to paused
state.
 It is due to that the Ovirt treating all ib devices as 10Gbit cards(in
terms of speed).:(