[ovirt-users] q35 machine support?

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Fri Oct 24 08:48:56 UTC 2014

On 23.10.2014 22:57, Roy Golan wrote:
> On 10/23/2014 12:13 PM, Paul Jansen wrote:
> >

> > Cluster emulation modes <http://www.ovirt.org/Cluster_emulation_modes>
> > Contents 1 Cluster emulation mode 1.1 Summary 1.2 Owner 1.3 Current status 1.4
> > Detailed Description 1.4.1 New Config value 1.4.2 New Host field 1.4.3 New
> > Cluster field 1.4.4 New NON_OPERATIONAL reason
> >
> > View on www.ovirt.org <http://www.ovirt.org/Cluster_emulation_modes>
> >
> > Preview by Yahoo
> >
> > /On 23/10/14///  03:50/  , Paul Jansen wrote:/
> > >Is there a way to get QEMUs q35 machine in Ovirt?
> > >I've just upgraded my ovirt 3.4.4 install that has a couple of EL6.5 hosts.
> > >If I create a cluster with EL7 or F20 hosts will I get the option to use the q35 machine?
> > >If so, how can I select this?
> > >
> > >Thanks.
> >
> > After doing some more searching I came across these two pages:
> > http://www.ovirt.org/Cluster_emulation_modes
> > http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Cluster_parameters_override
> >
> > It sounds like this may allow me to achieve what I've described above.
> > From what I can tell the 'emulated machine type' is tied to the ovirt cluster
> > level - ie: 3.5.
> >

> you can switch q35 with pc-1.0 in ClusterEmulatedMachines config value for
> version 3.5
Thanks Paul for asking and Roy for answering. I thought q35 would be the
default anyway the whole time ;)

>    engine-config -s ClusterEmulatedMachines="q35,rhel6.5.0"
>
> then create a new cluster and add that host to it. once the host is up this
> emulation mode should be set.
>
> in 3.6 you'd be able to choose an emulation mode per VM.
Paul, since this is really useful would you mind to open an RFE in BZ
and post the link here, so we can keep track of this feature?

> > Is it a case of waiting for ovirt 3.6 to be able to override this or is there
> > some other way to achieve this now?

Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767