[ovirt-users] Ovirt VM Performance abd CPU times

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Wed Oct 29 10:40:50 UTC 2014

On 29.10.2014 10:21, Xavier Naveira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are migrating our ifrastructure from kvm+libvirt hypervisors to ovirt.
>
> Everything is working fine but we're noticing that all the qemu-kvm
> processes in the hypervisors take a lot of CPU.
Without further details of the workload this is hard tell. One Reason I
can think of might be KSM [1]. Is it enabled on your cluster(s)? What is
your mem over-commitment setting?

Note, IIRC the KSM policy is currently hard coded; it will start at 80%
host mem usage.

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/Sla/host-mom-policy

> The typical example is an idle machine, running top from the machine
> itself it reports cpu use percentages below 10% and loads (with 2
> processors) of 0.0x. The process running that machine in the hypervisor
> rports cpu uses in the order of the 80-100%.
>
> Should the values look like this? Why are the idle machines eating up so
> much CPU time?
>
> Thank you.
> Xavier

Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767