[ovirt-users] [RFC] oVirt mobile client

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Fri Oct 31 01:49:11 UTC 2014

Hi,

The focus of our OPW internship program starting in December will be
mobile and/or lightweight engine clients -- hopefully integrating the
new ovirt.js project.

I see that there are some already existing mobile clients for oVirt.
I'm trying to grasp what we have and what the needs are.

moVirt: https://github.com/matobet/moVirt (mbetak)
This appears to be more of a lightweight webadmin. No console access,
but I believe it's planned as part of OPW. (?)

nomad: http://www.ovirt.org/Project_Proposal_-_Nomad and
https://github.com/Vizuri/ovirt-nomad
Looks dead -- last commit 3 years ago.
Anyone know more about this one?

That's all I see on the first few pages of google.

When I think of a mobile client for oVirt, I think the most useful
part would be the user portal -- simple operations for start, stop,
and the ability to view the console of vms. moVirt mentions it wants
to support some basic management operations, though. I think it would
be difficult to do complex management in a mobile client. (I'm biased
towards huge screens, though.)

I'd like to see an official subproject started that coordinates our
mobile efforts.

Is this possible? What would it take to start it?

What would people like to see in such an app?

Greg Sheremeta
Red Hat, Inc.
Sr. Software Engineer, RHEV
Cell: 919-807-1086