[ovirt-users] feature review - ReportGuestDisksLogicalDeviceName

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon Sep 1 21:23:45 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 07:20:04AM -0400, Liron Aravot wrote:
> Feel free to review the the following feature.
>
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/ReportGuestDisksLogicalDeviceName

Thanks for posting this feature page. Two things worry me about this
feature. The first is timing. It is not reasonable to suggest an API
change, and expect it to get to ovirt-3.5.0. We are two late anyway.

The other one is the suggested API. You suggest placing volatile and
optional infomation in getVMList. It won't be the first time that we
have it (guestIPs, guestFQDN, clientIP, and displayIP are there) but
it's foreign to the notion of "conf" reported by getVMList() - the set
of parameters needed to recreate the VM.

Would you describe the motivation for using this verb? What are the
pros and cons? Which other ideas where considered?

Regards,
Dan.