[ovirt-users] OVirt Guest Agent Service service could not be started

Richard Long rlong011 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 5 01:48:09 UTC 2014

I am trying to install ovirt-guest-agent in a windows 7 sp1 vm with all current updates applied. This is a new install for  of oVirt Engine Version: 3.4.3-1.fc19. Both host are running FC20.
 Besides searching the list and google I have followed the instructions here:
http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_Guest_Agent_For_Windows.
I tried many different things to no avail and this install is on a clean win 7 vm.
During the creation of the service I am getting this warning:

The following modules appear to be missing
['Carbon', 'Carbon.Files', '_scproxy', 'dummy.Process', 'simplejson', 'test_port ', 'win32com.gen_py'].
I do not know if these are needed are  not and have not been able to locate them.

After copying the files created in the python build ,per the instructions I ran the following :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Guest Agents\oVirt Guest Agent> OVirtGuestService.exe -instal
C:\Program Files (x86)\Guest Agents\oVirt Guest Agent> net start OVirtGuestService

and get

The OVirt Guest Agent Service service is starting.
The OVirt Guest Agent Service service could not be started.

 A service specific error occurred: 1.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3547.

Which gives: A service specific error occurred: ***.

Looking at the windows system event log gives:

The description for Event ID 10 from source OVirtGuestService cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or
 the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "OVirtGuestService.pyc", line 63, in __init__
  File "logging\config.pyc", line 70, in fileConfig
  File "logging\config.pyc", line 106, in _create_formatters
  File "ConfigParser.pyc", line 607, in get
NoSectionError: No section: 'formatters'

And

The OVirt Guest Agent Service service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function..

As I said I have scoured the internet for a resolution for 2 days, one hinted at the serial driver:

I device manager the VirtIO-Serial Driver is listed and "This device is working properly."

I'm not sure what to try now.

Regards
Richard