[ovirt-users] Multiple datacenters design

Finstrle, Ludek lfinstrle at netsuite.com
Mon Sep 8 09:54:11 UTC 2014

  I'm quite new to ovirt and I'm going to deploy ovirt into several tens
location all around world.

The connection between locations is neither dedicated nor 100% reliable
as it's connected via internet.
I'm going with Gluster storage domains mainly.
It's not important to me to do live migrations or even offline
migrations between locations (they're independent).

What's the best design and components from your point of view? I believe
I'm not the first one with such design.

I think about two possibilities:
1) One central Engine
   - how to manage guests when connection drop between engine and node
   - latency is up to 1 second is it ok even with working connection?

2) Engine in every location
   - is it possible to have also one central point with information
     from all engines together (at least read-only)?
   - what about central reporting at least?

I like more one central Engine. My concern is how to work with consoles
and also just 1 ISO storage domain and 1 export storage domain (maybe
same hostname for ISO and export in every location). Another topic is
how to reach console/stop/start/migrate guest inside location while
there is connection down between the only Engine and nodes in the
location.

Thanks ahead for you experience/ideas,

Luf

NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary information of NetSuite Inc. and is for the sole use of the intended recipient for the stated purpose. Any improper use or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender; do not review, copy or distribute; and promptly delete or destroy all transmitted information. Please note that all communications and information transmitted through this email system may be monitored by NetSuite or its agents and that all incoming email is automatically scanned by a third party spam and filtering service