[ovirt-users] Multiple datacenters design

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 14:45:25 UTC 2014

On 09/08/2014 12:54 PM, Finstrle, Ludek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm quite new to ovirt and I'm going to deploy ovirt into several tens
> location all around world.
>
> The connection between locations is neither dedicated nor 100% reliable
> as it's connected via internet.
> I'm going with Gluster storage domains mainly.
> It's not important to me to do live migrations or even offline
> migrations between locations (they're independent).
>
> What's the best design and components from your point of view? I believe
> I'm not the first one with such design.
>
> I think about two possibilities:
> 1) One central Engine
> - how to manage guests when connection drop between engine and node
> - latency is up to 1 second is it ok even with working connection?
>
> 2) Engine in every location
> - is it possible to have also one central point with information
> from all engines together (at least read-only)?
> - what about central reporting at least?
>
> I like more one central Engine. My concern is how to work with consoles
> and also just 1 ISO storage domain and 1 export storage domain (maybe
> same hostname for ISO and export in every location). Another topic is
> how to reach console/stop/start/migrate guest inside location while
> there is connection down between the only Engine and nodes in the
> location.
>
> Thanks ahead for you experience/ideas,

we run this with central engine and remote clusters, but remote clusters
have decent connectivity.

oVirt 3.5 does bring several improvements to fencing management which
may help those with problematic links.

for option #2 - ManageIQ (upstream of Red Hat CloudForms) is a "CMP" -
Cloud Management Platform, which can provide overall dashboard,
self-service, service catalog, automation, etc. across multiple ovirt
deployments.
(they just released their first upstream release last week)