[ovirt-users] Passing custom script to cloud init using api

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 08:37:06 UTC 2014

On 09/10/2014 06:44 AM, Shanil S wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> What i am planning to do is to make work the following script
>
> #cloud-config
>
> # phone_home: if this dictionary is present, then the phone_home
> # cloud-config module will post specified data back to the given
> # url
> # default: none
> # phone_home:
> #  url: http://my.foo.bar/$INSTANCE/
> #  post: all
> #  tries: 10
> #
> phone_home:
>  url: http://my.example.com/$INSTANCE_ID/
>  post: [ pub_key_dsa, pub_key_rsa, pub_key_ecdsa, instance_id ]
>
> (http://cloudinit.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/examples.html#run-commands-on-first-boot)
>
> but it wasn't working when i tried, i hope to post the above values to
> the specific url and get the posted details.

I think it should work, but it depends completely on cloud-init itself.
I'd suggest you check the content of the generated cloud-init
configuration file (as described in a previous mail). If it contains the
"phone_home" section then you can discard a problem with oVirt, and
focus on clud-init.

> [...]
>             all: '>> /var/log/cloud-init-output.log'
>           user: root
>           password: mypassword
>           chpasswd:
>             expire: false
>           runcmd:
>           - 'sed -i ''/^datasource_list: /d'' /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg; echo
>         ''datasource_list:
>             ["NoCloud", "ConfigDrive"]'' >> /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg'
>           runcmd:
>            - echo "I was here!" > /iwashere.txt
>
>         If your custom script isn't there then there is some problem in the
>         engine/VDSM side, otherwise the problem is probably in cloud-init
>         itself, and we will need someone with more knowledge of
>         cloud-init to
>         debug it.
>
>         Don't forget to umount the file when finished:
>
>           # umount /mnt
>
>         >
>         > On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Juan Hernandez <jhernand at redhat.com <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com>
>         > <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com>>> wrote:
>         >
>         >     On 09/05/2014 10:46 AM, Sven Kieske wrote:
>         >     >
>         >     >
>         >     > Am 05.09.2014 10:27, schrieb Juan Hernandez:
>         >     >> Trying to make an example for this I discovered that
>         the "custom_script"
>         >     >> element is currently ignored if the "cloud_init"
>         element is present.
>         >     >> Instead we are taking the content of the first "file"
>         element from the
>         >     >> "cloud_init" element and appending it to the cloud-init
>         configuration
>         >     >> file. I believe that this is a bug, as it breaks
>         backwards compatibility:
>         >     >>
>         >     >>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1138564
>         >     >
>         >     > Thanks for the report, I just proposed this as a blocker
>         for the 3.4.4
>         >     > release as it is a clear regression.
>         >     > Also I rely on this functionality in my 3.3. setup and I
>         want to upgrade
>         >     > to 3.4 so I can't upgrade until this is fixed and released.
>         >
>         >     Agree, I set the bug as a blocker for 3.4.4.
>         >
>         >     >>
>         >     >> However, you can exploit this bug to do what you want.
>         This is an example:
>         >     >
>         >     > Well I guess this is a pretty bad idea, because it will
>         just work
>         >     > until the bug is fixed?
>         >     >
>         >
>         >     No, what I proposed in the example is to put the custom
>         script in both
>         >     the first "file" inside "clud_init" and in the
>         "custom_script" element.
>         >     That should work with the current status and also if/when

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain