[ovirt-users] Passing custom script to cloud init using api

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Thu Sep 11 12:46:15 UTC 2014

On 09/11/2014 12:51 PM, Shanil S wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> Also, i tried the following custom script from the ovirt panel and its
> working
>
> #cloud-config
> write_files:
>     -content: |
>         # THIS IS MY TEXT FILE
>         Some Content for my file
>     path: /tmp/myfile
>     permissions: '0644'
>

> but the same content script i tried from the ovir api call  like
>
> <custom_script>#cloud-config
> write_files:
>     -content: |
>         # THIS IS MY TEXT FILE
>         Some Content for my file
>     path: /tmp/myfile
>     permissions: '0644' </custom_script>
>    </initialization>
>
> But its not working, may be this is a bug in the  ovirt api function call ?

Currently the "custom_script" element doesn't work in combination with
"cloud-init". To make it work you will have to use the "files" element:

<action>
  <vm>
    <initialization>
      <cloud_init>
        <files>
          <file>
            <name>this is ignored</name>
            <content><![CDATA[your script]]></content>
            <type>plaintext</type>
          </file>
        </files>
      </cloud_init>
    </initialization>
  </vm>
</action>

As I wrote before there is a bug related to this:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1138564

If that bug is fixed (unlikely according to the last comments) then the
"custom_script" element will start working, but for know I suggest you
include your custom script in both places:

<action>
  <vm>
    <initialization>
      <cloud_init>
        <files>
          <file>
            <name>this is ignored</name>
            <content><![CDATA[your script]]></content>
            <type>plaintext</type>
          </file>
        </files>
      </cloud_init>
      <custom_script><![CDATA[your script]]></custom_script>
    </initialization>
  </vm>
</action>

> [...]
>         >     >         > <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com
>         <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com> <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com
>         <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com>>
>         >     <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com>
>         <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com <mailto:jhernand at redhat.com>>>>> wrote:
>         >     >         >
>         >     >         >     On 09/05/2014 10:46 AM, Sven Kieske wrote:
>         >     >         >     >
>         >     >         >     >
>         >     >         >     > Am 05.09.2014 10:27, schrieb Juan Hernandez:
>         >     >         >     >> Trying to make an example for this I
>         discovered that
>         >     >         the "custom_script"
>         >     >         >     >> element is currently ignored if the
>         "cloud_init"
>         >     >         element is present.
>         >     >         >     >> Instead we are taking the content of
>         the first "file"
>         >     >         element from the
>         >     >         >     >> "cloud_init" element and appending it
>         to the
>         >     cloud-init
>         >     >         configuration
>         >     >         >     >> file. I believe that this is a bug, as
>         it breaks
>         >     >         backwards compatibility:
>         >     >         >     >>
>         >     >         >     >>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1138564
>         >     >         >     >
>         >     >         >     > Thanks for the report, I just proposed
>         this as a
>         >     blocker
>         >     >         for the 3.4.4
>         >     >         >     > release as it is a clear regression.
>         >     >         >     > Also I rely on this functionality in my
>         3.3. setup
>         >     and I
>         >     >         want to upgrade
>         >     >         >     > to 3.4 so I can't upgrade until this is
>         fixed and
>         >     released.
>         >     >         >
>         >     >         >     Agree, I set the bug as a blocker for 3.4.4.
>         >     >         >
>         >     >         >     >>
>         >     >         >     >> However, you can exploit this bug to do
>         what you
>         >     want.
>         >     >         This is an example:
>         >     >         >     >
>         >     >         >     > Well I guess this is a pretty bad idea,
>         because it
>         >     will
>         >     >         just work
>         >     >         >     > until the bug is fixed?
>         >     >         >     No, what I proposed in the example is to
>         put the custom
>         >     >         script in both
>         >     >         >     the first "file" inside "clud_init" and in the
>         >     >         "custom_script" element.
>         >     >         >     That should work with the current status

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain