[ovirt-users] Modify the MacPoolRange : Former MACs?

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Fri Sep 12 07:43:30 UTC 2014

Le 11/09/2014 08:28, Moti Asayag a écrit :
>>> I'm asking about banning, because I witnessed that when (ovirt-shell)
>>> provisionning a new VM and its nic with a MAC outside of the pool range,
>>> the adding gets refused.
>>
>> What is the rejection message ? Perhaps it is a mac address which is already
>> in use by other vm ?
>>

> Please note that currently the API doesn't support specifying network interfaces
> at vm creation [1], only after the vm is created, the user can add/update/delete vm network
> interfaces.
>
> So could you explain the scenario which lead to the rejection ?

Hi,

This morning, I had to provision one more VM, using the same script as
usual.
This script obviously creates a VM, *then* adds a NIC attached to this VM.

What I saw some days ago was that I had troubles creating the nic. The
exact error msg is forgotten, but it was related to MAC issues.
In the MAC pool range, the first half part is related to Qumranet, the
original company that created oVirt. The second half is free for users
to change (and is maybe drawn randomly on install ?)

In a hurry, I change a bit in the first part, to be absolutely sure I
could not hit a MAC conflict (being outside the macpoolrange).
And the creation failed.

This morning, I tried the same, and it succeed.
Damn, I thought I cought a bug, but it escaped.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot