[ovirt-users] [RFI] oVirt 3.6 Planning

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Sat Sep 13 18:24:55 UTC 2014

Le 13/09/2014 17:34, Nir Soffer a écrit :
>> For God's sake, please, prevent "secondary" storage domains (anything
>> other than the master, especially iso and export) to completely block
>> the whole thing when being unavailable.
>> To many users suffered from this in the last two years I participate at
>> this mailing list (including me).
>
> I think this is true for ISO and export domains for some time.

In 3.4 at least, this is still true and is a problem.
At least, if we can get rid of this and just mark these iso and export
domains as unusable, and still do every other non-related operations,
this would be very useful.

> It will not work for data domains - if you have vms with disks on what you
> call "secondary" data domain, how would you migrate these vms to a host that
> cannot see the "secondary" domain?
>
> In 3.6, there will be no "master" domain, so any data domain will be important
> as any other data domain.
>
> Maybe what do you like is to have more control on which domains are critical,
> and which are not. A domain which you mark as "non-critical", or "secondary",
> will not cause the host to become non-operational when the host cannot see
> this domain.
>
> So you would not be able to migrate some vms to a host that cannot see the
> secondary domain, but since *you* marked it as "secondary", it is not a problem
> for you.
>
> What do you think?

This proposition is perfect.
I don't know whether being able to mark some storage domain as more
precious than other will be useful, when their absence won't be a
blocker anymore?

--
Nicolas Ecarnot