[ovirt-users] Can't understand Template Sub Version

Omer Frenkel ofrenkel at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 06:44:22 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

there is a gap, user cannot update the template version of already created vm or pool
there is an open RFE for that:
Bug 1140569 - [RFE] Provide UI ability to change "Template versioning" policy for existing pools

regarding 1 - please note that template versions are only relevant for stateless vms, not all vms,
since upgrading to new version means re-creating the vm disks, according to new version.

> 3 How to create a pool with disable stateless function?
>      In the property of template vm, I'm sure I don't enable
> "stateless". But in the testing, I found all the vm are stateless vm.
> How to disable it, or I'll lost all config and personal data.
>
>      Thank you very much!

vm pools are stateless by definition, it creates you pool of vms that users can "take from the pool", use it to do whatever they like,
and once "returned" to the pool, all the user specific changes are gone, hence stateless.

you can work with pools in 2 modes:
automatic - vm returned to the pool when user shut it down.
manual - admin need to manually return the vm to the pool, this way the state for the user is saved also between shut-downs, until the admin action.