[ovirt-users] Sizing the master storage domain

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Thu Sep 18 11:27:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

I know Itamar explained that the notion of master storage domain will
disappear in some releases.
But now, with a 3.4 I'm installing, I was wondering :

- on my other oVirt setups, I started with one big (iSCSI) LUN, which is
the master, and stored as many VMs I could
- when space came to miss, I added another LUN, the another...
- when I have to do some maintenance (grow, disable, other...) on a LUN,
I can move my VM disks amongst the normal storage domains. When Empty, I
can switch them off, add others, and so on

The only one I can not play with is the master one.
I came to think that I had no benefice storing anything on the master
storage domain, and use only the normal storage domains.

And then, I came to think I had no reason to dedicate a huge LUN for the
master.

Ok, but according to you, what is the minimum reasonable size for a
master storage domain?

--
Nicolas Ecarnot