[ovirt-users] console spice questions

Alexander Wels awels at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 12:28:42 UTC 2014

On Friday, September 19, 2014 10:26:55 AM Bill Dossett wrote:
> Thanks David, I appreciate the help.  I installed virt-manager on my
> virt-engine.  And I have installed virt-viewer on my workstation...  I am
> still not getting a console though. I don't quite understand if I have to
> do anything further..  I have checked the faq and looked at the screen
> shots, but I am not much the wiser... is there any more detail I can read
> on installing and getting this running?  I am assuming I connect to
> virt-engine for this - should the console button in the virt-engine bring
> up the remote viewer, or do I have to start the remote view separately?  I
> turned the firewall off to make sure that isn't the problem.  It appears
> its trying fire virt-manager up on to a remote x display I guess, but I
> just get "unable to connect to the graphic server
> spice://ovirt.pbi.global.pvt:5900 "  Any further advice on getting this
> running would be greatly appreciated.

Odds are your machine you are trying to connect with does not have the fully
qualified domain name of the host it is trying to connect to. If you don't have
DNS setup for it you should be able to add it to your hosts file (we recommend
DNS though). If that is not the problem you can simply download the .vv and
manually start the viewer with a debug flag, and it will tell you in detail
what the problem is.

remote-viewer xxx.vv --debug

Note there is a time limit on how long the ticket is active, if I recall
correctly its 120 seconds, so be fast when you do it.