[ovirt-users] ovirt engine not responding

Thomas Scofield tscofield at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 02:00:59 UTC 2014

Since upgrading our ovirt setup from 3.2 to 3.3 we have run into some
issues with the ovirt-engine becoming non responsive.  The first few times
we just cycled the server and moved on with things, but the problem kept
re-occurring.  After digging into the server.log we identified a number of
errors, some samples below

2014-09-18 03:20:06,115 ERROR [org.jboss.as.server.deployment.scanner]
(DeploymentScanner-threads - 2) JBAS015004: Caught exception writing
deployment marker file
/var/tmp/ovirt-engine/deployments/engine.ear.pending:
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/var/tmp/ovirt-engine/deployments/engine.ear.pending (No such file or
directory)

2014-09-18 03:20:06,121 ERROR [org.jboss.as.server.deployment.scanner]
(DeploymentScanner-threads - 2) JBAS015004: Caught exception writing
deployment marker file
/var/tmp/ovirt-engine/deployments/engine.ear.isundeploying:
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/var/tmp/ovirt-engine/deployments/engine.ear.isundeploying (No such file or
directory)

I didn't see any similar messages posted to the forum.  After doing some
digging we found that the OS delivered /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch was the
culprit.  It has an line that cleans up /var/tmp.

flags=-umc
/usr/sbin/tmpwatch "$flags" 30d /var/tmp

The tmpwatch combined with the noatime that we have set in fstab causes
these files to be deleted.  Our immediate solution will be to remove the
noatime from fstab.  Should these files be moved to a different directory,
or can the engine recreate them if they get removed from the tmp directory?