[ovirt-users] changing uid:gid of vdsm:kvm

noc noc at nieuwland.nl
Tue Sep 23 07:29:34 UTC 2014

Should have send it the the ML:

On 22-9-2014 16:27, Stefan Wendler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this might be documented somewhere but I cannot find it.
>
> In what way does ovirt rely on vdsm:kvm being 36:36? Or can I just
> change the uid:gid everywhere and be golden?
>
> I need to change the uid:gid of vdsm:kvm to a value >1024. It has
> something to do with the setup of the diskstore I am supposed to use for
> this setup. The diskstore is a Synology which has all kinds of strange
> implications on the setup.

I use a Synology (DS211j and now DS214play) at home and have my storage
for oVirt on it and no problems with 36:36.
I think I modified /etc/exports after creating it so that it keeps the
36:36 permissions.
/volume1/nfs/data
192.168.x.x/24(rw,async,no_wdelay,root_squash,insecure_locks,sec=sys,anonuid=36,anongid=36)

Joop