[ovirt-users] changing uid:gid of vdsm:kvm

Stefan Wendler stefan.wendler at tngtech.com
Tue Sep 23 14:04:33 UTC 2014

On 09/23/2014 09:29, noc wrote:
> Should have send it the the ML:
>
> On 22-9-2014 16:27, Stefan Wendler wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> this might be documented somewhere but I cannot find it.
>>
>> In what way does ovirt rely on vdsm:kvm being 36:36? Or can I just
>> change the uid:gid everywhere and be golden?
>>
>> I need to change the uid:gid of vdsm:kvm to a value >1024. It has
>> something to do with the setup of the diskstore I am supposed to use for
>> this setup. The diskstore is a Synology which has all kinds of strange
>> implications on the setup.
>>

> I use a Synology (DS211j and now DS214play) at home and have my storage
> for oVirt on it and no problems with 36:36.
> I think I modified /etc/exports after creating it so that it keeps the
> 36:36 permissions.
> /volume1/nfs/data
> 192.168.x.x/24(rw,async,no_wdelay,root_squash,insecure_locks,sec=sys,anonuid=36,anongid=36)
>
> Joop

Hey,

thanks for the answer. This definitely helped knowing somebody uses a
Syno box with ovirt.

After fiddling around for some hours I think I have this working now.
But especially the nfs and the permission parts are really really
fragile. One wrong click and everything goes to hell. And as I have
figured out this wont always happen instantaneously. But sometimes only
after a reboot. I personally cannot recommend |ynology as a Diskstore
for ovirt and don't feel too comfortable with this solution. I
personally favour a FreeBSD box with decent zfs support.

Cheers,
Stefan