[ovirt-users] [ovirt-devel] Building vdsm within Fedora

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 22:21:23 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

4 options...

> 1. Revert the qemu-kvm-rhev dependency.

Why did we merge a package which is not available on all supported platforms?

> 2. Drop vdsm from EPEL6 (or completely from Fedora); ship Vdsm only
>    within the oVirt repositories.

3. Package qemu-kvm-rhev in Fedora

This is the root cause, lets fix it.

4. Until 3 is fixed, require qemu-kvm-rhev where it exists,
   otherwise on qemu-kvm.

> I favor option 2. The Fedora deployment platform served us well for a
> long time, but now that ovirt is maturing, we no longer need it for
> building vdsm. This has the added benefit of removing the need to pass
> through Fedora's ghastly gateway when adding a Vdsm dependency.

This is the wrong direction. We want ovirt in all distributions. You suggest
to have it in no distribution :-)

> Does anybody object this? If no one does, we would stop updating Vdsm in
> Fedora, and obsolete it in the future.

I do

Nir