[ovirt-users] numa error after upgrading from 3.5rc2 to 3.5rc3

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 09:11:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Martin Sivak <msivak at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think the default was changed to INTERLEAVE, because that is the value I
> see everywhere as preselected in the current 3.5 code.
>
> This is the logic that governs if the select boxes are enabled:
>
> if (getModel().getMigrationMode().getSelectedItem() !=
> MigrationSupport.PINNED_TO_HOST ||
>         getModel().getIsAutoAssign().getEntity() ||
>         getModel().getDefaultHost().getSelectedItem() == null ||
>         !getModel().getDefaultHost().getSelectedItem().isNumaSupport()) {
>             enabled = false;
> }
>
> So it seems that the following conditions have to be satisfied for the
> select boxes to be enabled:
>
> The VM has to be pinned to a NUMA host (check that please, it might allow
> you to update the values using UI).
> Have the default host set (probably satisfied by the previous condition)
> The host has to support NUMA
>
> I am adding Gilad to CC as he knows the code. Unfortunately he will be
> available some time next week as they have a holiday season in Israel atm.

The point here is:
If I am on oVirt 3.4.x environment, is this numa_tune_mode parameter
present in the VM definition?
I have not at hand now a 3.4 system so I cannot check.
If not present at all in pre-3.5 VMs and I upgrade my environment, what
would be done for my pre-existing VMs?
Because I verified (not from 3.5rc3 scratch installation but upgrading from
3.5rc2) that for new VMs indeed the parameter is set with "interleave" as
default.
I don't know if inside the sql upgrade scripts there is something like

if current < 3.5 then add parameter and set to interleave

So in this case it would make the correct thing for 3.4 environments, but
as a corner effect it would do nothing for my 3.5.rc2 environment, that
still didn't have the parameter, causing the problem I'm experiencing....

Gianluca