[ovirt-users] problems with win 2008_64 vm

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 07:40:55 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 2:39 AM, Grant Pasley <grant at xtranet.com.au> wrote:

>  good morning guys
>
> i have an issue with my 2008 vm going to pause within 5 secs of starting
> it up. new install of ovirt 3.4.4 on hp dl160, installed the windows vm and
> windows drivers etc and it was running fine. did a reboot last night and
> went to bed, i see this morning the server is not accessible and when i
> login to the web gui it is paused. stop vm and restart the server starts
> firing up and then goes to pause mode with the following message from the
> ovirt-engine log. i dont think it is a windows problem as the vm pauses
> before it even starts trying to load windows server:

I remember to have seen something similar in the past with a Windows 7 VM
that every time after about 50 minutes went in this state.
At that time it depended on power saving settings in Windows OS that put
hard disk and/or network adapter in that state causing the VM to go in
suspend mode.
I don't know if recent version of hypervisor settings should manage better
this kind of things.
But you can try disabling them

see here for win 7 should be similar for 2008
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-power-management-on-windows-vista/

see also power of disks settings in windows 7:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/140592-hard-drive-turn-off-hard-disk-after-idle-never.html

HIH,
Gianluca