[ovirt-users] Storage domain not in pool issue

Adam Litke alitke at redhat.com
Wed Apr 1 15:05:36 UTC 2015

On 31/03/15 08:43 +0000, VONDRA Alain wrote:
>Hi,
>Here is the logs.
>Thanks

Federico, Maor: tldr; Can you offer some advice for recovering this
block SD after a DC disaster?

Hi Alain,

After looking at your logs, it's clear that the metadata on the
storage domain itself says that the domain is attached to pool
c58a44b1-1c98-450e-97e1-3347eeb28f86 while engine thinks the domain is
attached to pool f422de63-8869-41ef-a782-8b0c9ee03c41.

Can you please explain the process you used to recover from your
datacenter disaster?  My guess is you:
  1. Reinstalled the engine host with a blank oVirt DB
  2. Created a new data center
  3. Created a new master domain
  4. Attached some storage domains which were not attached at the time
     of your previous disaster
  5. Tried to attach sd:d7b9d7cc-f7d6-43c7-ae13-e720951657c9 which was
     attached to your old storage pool at the time of the disaster.

#5 failed because the metadata on the storage shows the old storage
pool.  At this point I see two possible options to recover your
storage.  PLEASE DO NOT DO ANYTHING YET (until we confirm what the
best approach for recovery will be).

Option 1: Use the new import storage domain feature to import this
domain into your new datacenter.

Option 2: Modify the storage domain metadata to remove the reference
to the old storage pool.

I am adding some other oVirt storage experts to the thread in order to
offer you the best advice.  Federico, Maor: can you offer some expert
advice on this matter?

I did notice this wiki page which talks about clearing the storage
pool metadata from an export domain.  Since this SD is iSCSI, it will
be a bit more difficult to manually edit the md but I'd guess someone
has a script or some instructions on how to do it.

--
Adam Litke