[ovirt-users] accessing SPICE console when host not on management network

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Thu Apr 2 16:06:33 UTC 2015

I'm trying to figure out the most reasonable method for me to access the
console on my ovirt installation.
Each node has ovirtmgmt, storage, and external network connectivity.
The standalone engine host has ovirtmgmt, and external network.
I connect to engine via the external network, right click on a VM and
try to access the console.  If I use the "Remote Viewer" method, the
connection fails.  This is because my client on the external network
doesn't have access to ovirtmgmt.
I can access the spice-html5 client, and that "basically" works, though
it's crashed more than once.  I suspect that Remote Viewer will be more
stable.
So my question is - what is the best way for me to connect to the
console from the external network?
Either, I have to start up my client on a machine that has an IP on
ovirtmgmt (eg. remote login to engine, and run firefox there?)
or I have to route external packets from my host to say, the engine
host, and run IP forwarding there? probably not too secure...
or I have to figure out a way to make ovirt use the external network for
display traffic... that would probably be best (?) but I can't seem to
figure out whether it's possible.
In particular since the external network is a VM network (it's actually
2 x 1 G links bound via LACP), and not part of ovirt infrastructure,
it's not clear if I can use it for display and VM external connectivity
as well.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Jason.