[ovirt-users] self hosted storage engine disaster recovery procedure

Ron V. ronvach at abacom.com
Sat Apr 4 21:13:14 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am getting familiar with oVirt and using the self-hosted engine on an
iSCSI SAN and so far everything seems quite impressive.

I am trying to document a disaster recovery mecanism using a full OS
backup as well as a engine backup as described at
http://www.ovirt.org/Ovirt-engine-backup

I am unclear however how to prepare the existing iSCSI LUN to receive
the data restore.  I am able to destroy the engine and the VMs continue
to run, however I am unclear how I can free the host lock on that LUN,
format it and re-install on it.  Is there a howto/document I can refer
to in order to do this?

I am looking for info as to how I can re-install a functional engine
from a backup in the case of data-corruption or any other disaster that
could happen on the iSCSI LUN set aside for the engine, and a means to
re-install on that LUN should the need be, without having to power down
the VMs or worse, power everything down and re-install everything from
scratch.  How can I boot a CentOS install disk and have the previous's
engine LUN as a install target, and then boot that installed OS to
restore the engine backup data?

Thanks in advance,

Ron