[ovirt-users] [DISCUSSION] oVirt Weekly Sync Goals and Future.

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Thu Apr 9 05:41:13 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2014-April/023399.html

:-)

> Mailing lists can work, but we have to get around the problem of "missed"
> threads. The very fact that this thread went answered by just one person in
> the six days it has been live is evidence that threads on high-traffic
> mailing lists can get missed. Or consciously ignored. Encouraging people to
> attend a real-time synchronous meeting with a regular cadence can avoid that
> problem.

Projects that get larger often split their mailing lists along the way.

The real problem will be to split at the right place - to define the role of
each list in a way that will make it very clear to people that want to post,
what's the best list to use. This isn't easy at all. OTOH, if we have, say,
discussion@, and keep the existing users@ and devel@, and someone posts to
users@, and I think it should attract people on discussion@, it's much easier
to move the discussion there, instead of starting to think who specifically
I might want to Cc so that they notice.

> I am not set on what the format/structure of such a public meeting should be,
> but we need to think about:
>
> * What do we want to achieve?
> * What decisions are we going to make?
> * What is the role of the attendees?
> * Who gets what out of the meeting?
>
> One way to conduct such meetings could be the stakeholder/observer model from
> agile development meetings, otherwise known as "the chicken and the pig"
> model[1]. This would essentially be a variation of what we do know, with
> statuses given by stakeholders and questions reserved at the end for
> observers and participants.But people can at anytime ask to be upgraded to
> stakeholder status for that meeting.
>
> I think that curating weekly meetings and saying "here are the issues that
> will be discussed" and keeping those issues interesting could be a way to
> go. Like "what new features *should* be added to 3.6?" or "how *can* we
> position/improve ourselves against X?"
>
> Peace,
> BKP
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chicken_and_the_Pig