[ovirt-users] Clean up Hosted Engine entry in oVirt console

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Wed Apr 15 07:59:38 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

Please give more details, it's not completely clear what you did.

Let's define:

oldenginemachine - the machine where you ran the engine before migration attempt

hostedenginehost - the host where you tried to run hosted-engine --deploy

newenginemachine - the vm created by 'hosted-engine --deploy' where you were
supposed to setup an engine (by migrating data from oldenginemachine)

Was hostedenginehost registered in oldenginemachine before? Or is it a new
host?

Was the engine there down while you tried migrating?

Is there a chance that it was up, and 'hosted-engine --deploy' connected to
it and tried doing stuff there?

> So I ran
> engine-setup to remove the installation.

Where?

> However, I am now leave with a VM
> entry in our oVirt console called HostedEngine.

You mean, in oldenginemachine?

> Tried to remove the entry by
> clicking on the Remove button on the console gives a message:
>

> Error while executing action:
>
> HostedEngine:
>
> Cannot remove VM. This VM is not managed by the engine.

Indeed.

> As far as I can tell, all files that were touched by the hosted-engine are
> reverted back to before install state. So I am not sure where that
> HostedEngine entry is coming from. Is that a record in the database that I
> need to clean up manually from the db?

Indeed.

Not sure exactly how, but first let's be sure what the problem is.

Best,
--
Didi