[ovirt-users] Migrating to a Hosted Engine does not work as expected. Cluster name/id problem?

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Sun Apr 26 12:36:16 UTC 2015

On 04/24/2015 07:13 PM, Gustavo Campos wrote:
> Hi Simone, thanks for the tips!
>
> Neither the ovirt or Red Hat docs mentioned (or quite possibly I
> missed it) exactly what I should expect from the working hosted
> engine, so I was a bit confused. Good to know 3.6 will bring those!

Hi Gustavo, after you'll succeed with the migration to hosted engine
(we're here to help) maybe you'd be interested in 3.6 feature page for
hosted engine management [1]

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/Hosted_engine_VM_management

> The last attempt log is attached. I don't have all the logs from
> previous tries anymore, sorry =(
>
> Again about the docs: I believe I will request a wiki editor account
> if you guys are accepting. I noted a few points of confusion where I
> had to do a lot of guess work - an example is the storage domain for
> the hosted engine, it took me quite a bit of guessing to find out it
> was a separate domain =D
>
> --
> Gustavo Campos Ferreira Guimarães
>
> "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the
> power to make you commit injustices."
> Voltaire
>

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 6:01 AM, Simone Tiraboschi <stirabos at redhat.com> wrote:

I guess you'll find errors in ovirt-engine log saying it failed adding
that vm. grep AddVm from /var/log/ovirt-engine/engine.log
>> These two are weird.
>>
>>> - trying to do anything with the HostedEngine Vm on the web-gui issues
>>> "VM is not managed by this engine" error

that's expected. btw what actions did you try to do? or interested in doing?

>> This one is attended, you'll be able to customize engine VM from webadmin interface only since the next oVirt 3.6
>>
>>> - trying to move it to the "Default" cluster shows the same error

I think you can try to live-migrate it another cluster (am not sure what
version that is supported from though...) configure a hosted-engine
capable host on the DEFAULT cluster and try to right click migrate the
vm to that host.

>> The same.
>>
>>> I then decided to take a look at the engine DB and tried to alter
>>> tables vm_static and vm_dynamic to reflect the correct cluster
>>> (vds_group_id) and host configuration, but that did not work (I didn't
>>> have a lot of hope anyway).
lets leave the db as last resort for now and hope the logs will reveal more.