[ovirt-users] Doubts about performance qcow2 and raw in newer versions of KVM

Tácio Andrade tacioandrade at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 00:59:34 UTC 2015

Staff would like to know if anyone here in the group has done a comparison
between RAW and qcow2 discs to see if the performance loss is even as large
as speak. I ask this because I saw on the KVM project site a comparative
table, however is based on a version of qemu 2009 apparently, so I wonder
if it is still valid or hear improvements in qcow2.
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Qcow2
<https://mailtrack.io/trace/link/2cd1d17a672a9ef035e4ccde270c972ff570e5bd?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linux-kvm.org%2Fpage%2FQcow2&signature=6e9e7cecfbc07652>

Another doubt that I have with respect to this article, which he said is
the IDE driver has outperformed virtio, the new version is so? I question
this because I always read the virtio driver is the most suitable for an
installation using KVM.

Thank you in advance for help.

Att. Tácio Andrade, Undergraduate in Computer Science, Network Analyst at
the Universidade Estadual do Sudoeste da Bahia - Campus of Vitoria da
Conquista, Ba and IT Consultant.