[ovirt-users] ovirtmgmt bridge, hosted engine, and running VMs

Garry Tiedemann garrytiedemann at networkvideo.com.au
Wed Apr 29 07:55:56 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

I have a 3.5 hosted-engine setup, which was recently upgraded from 3.4.
It has five nodes, two of them set up for hosted-engine HA.

Initial problem:

One of the hosted-engine HVs had a score of 1800, owing to the
management bridge (ovirtmgmt) being absent.
I put ovirtmgmt bridge back in. The score went to 2400. Great!
After that, I could use hosted-engine --set-maintenance --mode=local to
force it to move to the other blade.

Can't migrate hosted-engine using the oVirt GUI though; I'm sure I've
done so before, is that still supposed to work in 3.5?

Second problem:

Having added the ovirtmgmt bridge, that HV, which was running VMs
before, now refuses to accept them.

An example from hosted-engine's engine.log, it refuses to put a VM on
these hosts:

2015-04-29 17:23:07,593 INFO
[org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.scheduling.SchedulingManager]
(ajp--127.0.0.1-8702-2) [4ca60585] Candidate host
bl09.networkvideo.com.au (4f26611a-9f44-4832-b9e3-1a06b1d513fc) was
filtered out by VAR__FILTERTYPE__INTERNAL *filter Network*
2015-04-29 17:23:07,595 INFO
[org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.scheduling.SchedulingManager]
(ajp--127.0.0.1-8702-2) [4ca60585] Candidate host
bl07.networkvideo.com.au (fc50be91-3e07-4447-a0d8-bffbda8a07c6) was
filtered out by VAR__FILTERTYPE__INTERNAL filter Network

I think it must relate to the configuration for either the ovirtmgmt
bridge, or the physical interface to which the bridge is connected.
I have seen, for example, the need for BOOTPROTO=none to be in the
ifcfg-file.
So, it seems that filter actually reads config files, and I suspect it's
looking for a certain directive and/or syntax. My guess, it's being
(too) fussy about syntax.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'd be glad to learn more about how
that filter works, if someone can point me in the right direction please.

The interface configs for the two scenarios are shown below.

1. eth0 without a bridge - like this, I can run VMs on the HV, but
hosted-engine won't go there (of course).

[root at bl09 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:21:5a:48:4e:4a
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=10.0.14.9
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=10.0.14.254
BOOTPROTO=none
MTU=1500
DEFROUTE=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no

2. With the bridge in, as it is now, I can put hosted-engine on it, but
can't run other VMs on there.

[root at bl09 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:21:5a:48:4e:4a
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=ovirtmgmt
MTU=1500
DEFROUTE=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
[root at bl09 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-ovirtmgmt
DEVICE=ovirtmgmt
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Bridge
DELAY=0