[ovirt-users] oVirt HA.

Dan Yasny dyasny at redhat.com
Wed Apr 29 19:53:37 UTC 2015

There is always room for improvement, but think about it: ever since SolidICE, there has been a demand to minimize the amount of hardware used in a minimalistic setup, thus the hosted engine project. And now that we have it, all of a sudden, we need to provide a way to make multiple engines work in active/passive mode? If that capability is provided, I'm sure a new demand will arise, asking for active/active engines, infinitely scalable, and so on.

The question really is, where the line is drawn. The engine downtime can be a few minutes, it's not that critical in setups of hundreds of hosts. oVirt's raison d'etre is to make VMs run, everything else is just plumbing around that. So as long as the engine doesn't just die, and it comes back up automatically, this is fine, since the engine is "plumbing", not the critical service running inside the VMs. There are plenty of more important features to work on, IMHO.

As for the definition of HA, this is exactly it, please don't mix it with LB and FT, those are all very different concepts.

//just my $0.02 of course.

Dan